Andoid Auto issues and compass not available

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen Taigo
SarlaGri

Post by SarlaGri »

Hi

I have a brand-new (less than a week) VW Taigo (1.5 DSG Style). It has the default infotainment (Ready 2 Discover, 8 inch, physical volume and select buttons).

I'm having issues with Android Auto (Samsung S22, with all updates):

- sometimes when starting the car the phone connects, Spotify music playback starts, but the infotainment keeps asking me to connect the phone (select technology). I select the paired phone, but nothing happens
- sometimes the navigation is displayed, i can select a destination and it works as expected, music playback from Spotify also works, but if i select media in the Digital Cockpit Pro it says that no device is linked.

This happens via either wired or wireless connection. Wired connection = connection to the usb ports below the dash, not the ones for the back seats. Tried both, same result.

I do not have wireless charging.

This comes on top of the fact that the compass does not work. It is stuck to north and in the dash i get the message compass not available.

Anyone experienced similar issues?

I know I can go to the garage and have it checked, but that is quite far from where I live.

If it matters, when I got the car, the dealer enrolled me in WeConnect. When I paied the phone to use Android Auto i got an e-mail from VW saying all we connect services were disabled.

Thanks!

dmrodgers

Post by dmrodgers »

WeConnect is the old VW app, you now need to download the new VW app from Play Store. The new app is just named Volkswagen and works similar to WeConnect.

Not had the errors you are getting with the infotainment unit but would suggest you do a reset on the unit to save yourself a long journey to your dealer. With the infotainment unit on press the infotainment power button until the screen goes off and then turns back on. Hopefully this may rectify the issues you are experiencing as it reinstall the factory software back to the unit. Kindly note you may lose any stored navigation addresses etc.
VW Taigo R Line 1.5 DSG
Pure White
Rear view camera
18” Misano wheels
Heated Seats
Spare Wheel
SarlaGri

Post by SarlaGri »

Hi @dmrodgers

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll try those.
SarlaGri

Post by SarlaGri »

Hi

After some more testing i came to realize what is causing it: once a connection is established, Andoid Auto does not like switching from wired to wireless. So, if i plug my phone in and start the car all is fine. however, if i remove the cable from the phone this breaks the connection. If on the other hand i start the car without attaching the cable, the phone connects wirelessly and all is good as long as i do not plug it in. So, how the phone connected to the car at start must remain otherwise the connection breaks. This is quite annoying as I did not opt for wireless charging. But I sometimes must plug in the phone to charge it and obviously I do not want to have to plug it in all the times. The issue gets fixed by either powering down the main unit (long press on the power button) or by killing the Android Auto app. In the end i opted for a separate usb-c charger which plugs into the cigarette lighter port.

However this works as expected with my wife's iPhone 14 (Carplay).

The compass is still stuck on North and every so often the dash says "compass not available". From what I've read on other VW forums this seems to be related to a loose antenna connection.

Not sufficient reasons for me to lose half a day going to the dealer.
freejam

Post by freejam »

I've essentially lost faith in the massively bug ridden info software in my Taigo, I've spent hours trying to get rid of constant nagging messages on the info screen about datasets, driving profiles, navigation and other unimportant prompts for me to enter codes of various types that make no sense to me. I'm in help me god mode hoping that the safety and drive software is not riddled with any bugs. People are now searching for used vehicles without all the automatic safety features. I drive a 20 yo Defender as well, it's a pleasure not to have cabbage software nagging me constantly, yippee for old vehicles.