Spare wheel size - VW say NO

The place to discuss everything else..
Daytel

Post by Daytel »

I have a T Cross R line on 215/45/R18 wheels.
It came with a factory fitted spare wheel 205/55/R16.

I have on order an R Line VW Tiago (coupe version of the T Cross).
Built on the same platform, and I have added the same size 215/45/R18 wheels.

Part of the deal was that I could retain my existing spare, and the dealer keeps the tyre repair kit from the new car subject to compatibility. As the dealer had not received a demonstrator yet confirmation was not readily available.

I emailed VW customer services out of curiosity, but wished I hadn’t bothered.
They replied “Unfortunately we cannot comment on whether your T Cross space saver spare wheel (205/55/R16) is compatible with a Taigo that has 18" wheels.”……..
Not happy with this reply it got escalated to a Customer relations manager.
I asked why not? but got an equally vague reply so E mailed a director who passed it onto the Executive offIce.
They replied “The T-Cross and Taigo are both allowed to have a 205/60/R16 or a 205/55/R17 tyre. However they cannot have an 205/55/R16 tyre”.
Mmmm, so they supplied me with a spare that they will no longer allow on what is essentially an identical vehicle other than having a sloping roofline, and no one will tell me why not.

Whilst the 205/60/R16 is a nearer match, the 205/55/R16 still seems within the tolerance of 2.5 - 3%.
Do I add a spare to the factory order, or chance that the 205/55/R16 will suffice?
VW Taigo R Line 1.5 DSG
Pure White with Pearl Black roof
Black mirror housing pack
Panoramic sunroof (so no roof rails)
Rear view camera
18” Misano wheels
Spare Wheel

Daytel

Post by Daytel »

VW still say the spare wheel 205/55/R16 will fit the T Cross RLine and is safe, but WILL NOT FIT the Taigo.
I have not had a reply to my last E Mail asking why not.
I emailed my dealer without disclosing I was trying to get this resolved with Customer services, and said that in the unlikely event they don’t think it is comparable then I would need to know why…..
I was invited in to speak to their Technician, and take the opportunity to view the car in the showroom which wasn’t available when I placed the order.
Looking at the plate on the drivers door pillar it shows 205/55/R17, yes R17.
My worry was that if I used my T cross spare R16 against their advice, and it caused damage, then I may have contravened the warranty,
He went off to fetch the Technician, but came back with the message from his manager that THEY WILL ADD A SPARE WHEEL TO MY ORDER AT NO COST TO ME AS A GOOD WILL GESTURE.
Obviously very pleased with my dealer, (who also allowed me to change the colour and add another option today), but remain curious about the lack of a definite answer,
VW Taigo R Line 1.5 DSG
Pure White with Pearl Black roof
Black mirror housing pack
Panoramic sunroof (so no roof rails)
Rear view camera
18” Misano wheels
Spare Wheel