Volkswagen Taigo R-Line in depth Review:

All Volkswagen Taigo related discussions
SamBrooksbank

Post by SamBrooksbank »

Hi everyone, my name is Sam Brooksbank and I’m an aspiring car journalist. My latest review is on the all new Taigo, I hope it is useful if your thinking about ordering a Taigo or want to know more about your car! The model I reviewed was the 1.0 TSI 110 DSG in Visual Green with optional 18” ‘Misano’ alloys and a few extra optional extras too. If you like my videos I’d really appreciate it if you could subscribe to my channel. Thanks, Sam.

Daytel

Post by Daytel »

Hi Sam,
Well done, I think you covered most of it.
I think it is the Life model that has the basic front seats, Style and R line both have the same comfort sports seats.
You confirmed my suspicion that the arm rest is not adjustable, I noticed it on the Life model in the showroom and hoped it would be adjustable on the R Line. That is going to prove a real nuisance.
I currently have a 2019 T Cross R Line 1.0 DSG, which is 7" shorter, and slightly lower. It has Rear Cross Traffic alert with automatic breaking when manoeuvring which I don't think the Taigo has.
In December I ordered a Taigo R line 1.5 DSG with exactly the same spec as the one that you reviewed, I originally ordered it in Kings Red, but later changed it to Solid White with a Black pearl roof, which was in fact cheaper. It has been built, and due to land in a few weeks.
Good luck with your career.
VW Taigo R Line 1.5 DSG
Pure White with Pearl Black roof
Black mirror housing pack
Panoramic sunroof (so no roof rails)
Rear view camera
18” Misano wheels
Spare Wheel
dmrodgers

Post by dmrodgers »

Have the identical model with the same extras but can confirm that my Taigo, delivered two weeks ago, does have an adjustable armrest. Perhaps you may have to give it a little extra push first time before it gets a little easier.
VW Taigo R Line 1.5 DSG
Pure White
Rear view camera
18” Misano wheels
Heated Seats
Spare Wheel
Daytel

Post by Daytel »

Thanks, but I have had a second look and sadly there is no ratchet type height adjustment fitted, (the car in the showroom was the same).
A minor thing really, and easily overcome by a discreet roll of dense grey sponge to act as a wedge.
It does extend outwards, just no vertical adjustment. So really just a pull up lid..

That aside, the car is far nicer than expected, and it does have the rear cross traffic alert, and manoeuvring braking which was not widely advertised..
I hope you are enjoying your new car as much as I am enjoying mine.
Last edited by Daytel on Sun May 08, 2022 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VW Taigo R Line 1.5 DSG
Rear view camera
18” Misano wheels
Spare Wheel
Daytel

Post by Daytel »

Daytel wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 2:29 pm
Thanks, but I have had a second look and sadly there is no ratchet type height adjustment fitted, (the car in the showroom was the same).
It does extend outwards, just no vertical adjustment. So really just a pull up lid..
A minor thing really, and easily overcome by a discreet roll of dense grey sponge to act as a wedge.

That aside, the car is far nicer than expected, and it does have the rear cross traffic alert, and manoeuvring braking which was not widely advertised..
I hope you are enjoying your new car as much as I am enjoying mine.
VW Taigo R Line 1.5 DSG
Rear view camera
18” Misano wheels
Spare Wheel
dmrodgers

Post by dmrodgers »

Sorry may be miss understood your initial comment about the arm rest. Yes it does slide backwards and forwards but is is not adjustable up or down. Love the car, the performance from the 1.5l engine is phenomenal and and fuel economy so far is much better than I anticipated. Love the self parking feature on the car, so much easier getting in and out of parking spaces plus wireless Apple Car Play/Android /Auto. No more messing around plugging wires in and out at the start and end of journeys. One gripe, and that is only a minor one, wish you could add DAB/FM radio station logo's to the screen for those stations which don't automatically add it their transmission. On previous VW head units you could download a file off the VW website, plug an SD card into the slot on the glove box and then manually add the logo to saved stations. The SD slot, though still there, is no longer active/live so not able to do this now. As I said small little thing which against the overall enjoyment of the vehicle is minor and the 1.5l car in R line mode is such a joy to drive.
VW Taigo R Line 1.5 DSG
Pure White
Rear view camera
18” Misano wheels
Heated Seats
Spare Wheel
Daytel

Post by Daytel »

Your right about the 1.5 engine. Back in 2019 I was looking to trade in my 2017 Q2 1.4. It had been replaced by the 1.5 which at the time had a bad reputation for ‘kangerooing’, so I avoided it and went for a 1.0L T Cross.
As good as the 1.0L is, it did lack punch when overtaking.
With good feedback from various forums I chanced the 1.5, and it is as equally good as the 1.4.
The handling is totally different, so much more car like, and feels more secure when cornering. (I must remember my boy racer days are over, but I do have the occasional lapse).
I think we both made a good choice.
VW Taigo R Line 1.5 DSG
Rear view camera
18” Misano wheels
Spare Wheel
silverhairs

Post by silverhairs »

The armrest is the same as the VW Polo, has no up and down ratchet. In the Polo forum, it was suggested to set the armrest to your height requirement then measure from the bottom of the storage box then either cut some wood or plastic spray it black and that will keep the armrest at the right height for you, bit of a bodge, but it does work, also can be easily removed when not required, but while driving, you will not see it.