Hard to believe mpg

All Volkswagen Taigo related discussions
A14UTY

Post by A14UTY »

Hi all,
Another newbie here - thought I’d share some info. which may be of interest to owners & potential owners alike.
I picked up my Taigo last October - a 1.5 R-line with ca 7k on the clock. I’d previously owned a 1.5 T-Cross & had always been impressed with fuel economy so when I went for a Taigo there was only one engine for me - the cracking 1.5!
Over the winter I ‘d only been covering local mileage - minimum 18 mile round trip to the supermarket over rural roads with 20/30/40/50mph limits but I was regularly getting over 50 mpg in Normal mode.
Back in April though I had occasion to stretch its legs on a 400 mile round trip to Gloucestershire.
Most of this was on the M6 & M5 so thought it an ideal opportunity to try Eco mode - the only changes I could detect were earlier changes to higher gears & holding on to those for longer.
I maintained a steady 65mph +/-.
Nearing my M5 exit at Gloucester I thought I’d check mpg & couldn’t quite believe what the display was telling me. Really? No, can’t be right, could it?
So, first filling station off the motorway I topped up the tank - to 2nd click as usual.
The figures…….11.97litres (2.63 galls), 184 miles. MPG 69.96. Yes, you read that right, 69.96mpg which was just 0.01 different from what was displayed in the car! Amazing but true. And yes I love the car!

dmrodgers

Post by dmrodgers »

Yes I've also noticed the amazing mpg in eco mode in my 1.5 R-line, not quite up to your 69.96 but regularly can achieve roundabout 58mpg on a mixture of A roads and motorways. Car now 1 year old with 8K miles on the clock. Went to France last October and could easily achieve over 55mpg cruising on the French autoroute near to their 130kph speed limit. Amazing car for fuel economy and without the worry of running out of battery charge that electric car owners have.
VW Taigo R Line 1.5 DSG
Pure White
Rear view camera
18” Misano wheels
Heated Seats
Spare Wheel
ioweddie

Post by ioweddie »

seems better than my 1.0 r line.....averaging about 48 around the Isle of Wight
dmrodgers

Post by dmrodgers »

Perhaps the 1.5ltr engine is having to do less work to keep the momentum of the car going than the 1.0 engine hence the better fuel economy.
VW Taigo R Line 1.5 DSG
Pure White
Rear view camera
18” Misano wheels
Heated Seats
Spare Wheel
ioweddie

Post by ioweddie »

Got 62 MPG on a longer trip to Ascot at the weekend...probably due to being restricted to 50MPH on the M3
Pskc888

Post by Pskc888 »

Really surprised!
Maybe you should try and repeat it and take pictures of the dash when it’s finished. We can start off a leader board.

52.4 mpg from our 1.0 is the most I’ve got I would be ecstatic if I got even the sane from the 1.5!

IMG_0119.jpeg

A14UTY

Post by A14UTY »

Yep, that’s a good idea - don’t know why I didn’t think of it at the time (another age thing I guess!)
I did keep the petrol receipt with the calculations though.
Not planning any long journeys any time soon but I will be making exactly the same journey again next April so will see if the mpg is similar.
Watch this space!!
A14UTY

Post by A14UTY »

IMG_0055.jpeg

freejam

Post by freejam »

Motorway with adaptive cruise control in sixth gear 1,0 litre TSI engine turns out a regular circa 62mpg with ECO mode set. The acceleration with ECO is gentle but can seem too slow when overtaking. Adaptive cruise control with a manual gear shift still seems like a miracle to me. Adaptive cruise control with drive assist on is great in slow moving motorway traffic - the car follows the vehicle ahead precisely but does not handle a stopped vehicle ahead.
Fred99

Post by Fred99 »

20 miles at 70mph. 85.9mpg
VW Taigo 1.5 DSG R-Line, 2023 M/Y, Visual Green/Black