Question - Traffic jam assist?

All Volkswagen Taigo related discussions
A_Denmark

Post by A_Denmark »

Hi :)

Just got my new Taigo with DSG :)

Question is around traffic assist:
When you have the travel assist + adaptive cruise controls activated, then other cars like T-Roc will stop AND hold for cars in front who is e.g. stopped for red, and then start when green light is given (no timer).

However, Taigo it stops perfectly for cars in front, but if you don’t hit the break within like 2sec, then it will drive the car forward though the car in front is still holding for red? - like it’s going to hit it…

Really don’t make sense to me that the car has the feature to stop, but not hold like T-Roc does - seems its just software?

Anyone can explain if it’s the same for you or is it just my car? 😅

Br
Taigo owner in Denmark

Daniel777

Post by Daniel777 »

Hmm I don't think mine would drive into the front car, but it does prompt me to break and I think the reason is Taigo still using manual hand break whereas others use auto break.

Is that what you mean or is it literally driving ahead?
Taigo Style 1.5 DSG
Coral Reef Blue
Beats Audio
Discover Pro
Heated Seats
Rear Cam
UTR Dashcam
A_Denmark

Post by A_Denmark »

Yes, and what happens if you don’t break? :)
Daniel777

Post by Daniel777 »

It beeps and flashes similar to when you stop touching steering wheel during traffic assist.

I think the idea is that the car could roll backwards or forward on a slope otherwise as there is no auto hand brake in this model

So it's not a 100% automatic start/stop solution.

But I don't think it would actually keep driving and crash (unless actually on a slope) but I haven't been brave enough to try

Bear in mind that above is just an educated guess based on limited experience myself - not sure if anyone else got a better explanation?
Taigo Style 1.5 DSG
Coral Reef Blue
Beats Audio
Discover Pro
Heated Seats
Rear Cam
UTR Dashcam
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

This could have something to do with that it does not have an electronic parking brake which gives auto hold. As it is a manual handbrake auto hold is not an option.
ioweddie

Post by ioweddie »

Nothing here
valdowb

Post by valdowb »

Read the manual on official site
SarlaGri

Post by SarlaGri »

Hi

Just tested this on mine (1.5 TSI DSG).

It will come to a full stop, then ask you to press the brake pedal. If you don't, after a few seconds the pressure on the brakes will be released and it will start moving forward.

When it moves forward it's similar to taking your foot from the brake without pressing the accelerator. So it's far from sprinting to rear-end the car in front, but nonetheless it drives forward. Now one would think that the emergency brake would kick in before it crashes into the car in front, but I wasn't brave enough to try this. And even if it does, it's not a pleasant experience. Mine slammed the brakes when it detected a wire it though i was too close to.

Other VWs for example have a feature where you can still be in Drive at the stop and not have to hold your foot on the brake. When coming to a full stop, after you release the brake pedal, the brake remains engaged until you tap the accelerator. This is called auto hold and does not use the parking brake. Unlike the parking brake, the auto hold keeps the braking pressure on all 4 wheels (the same one you have applied to come to a full stop) and, if the car rolls backwards or forward then the system increases the pressure.

But Taigos do not have this and, even with the parking brake engaged, they will still attempt to move if D or R drive modes are selected. Got this happening to me as well. Parking break was engaged, I though I was in N but was actually in D and heard the screeching noise of the rear drums as the car attempted to move forward. I can imagine this is not good for the clutch pack either.

So, always keep your foot on the brake pedal if the car is stopped but still in D or R modes.