We Connect

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen Taigo
dmrodgers

Post by dmrodgers »

Have a new Taigo R line 1.5 and last week thought I would try the We Connect app to send route directions to the car. All went as planned, the car receiving the instructions and added them to the infotainment unit. Earlier this week was going on a journey with three en-route stopping off places off of the main road I was using. Again went to use the We Connect app, set it all up and sent the information to the car. Nothing received, tried a couple of more times and still nothing. At this point contacted VW regarding this who tried over the phone to talk me through a number of different steps without any success. They then said that my issue would have to be cascaded up the VW technical team in Germany. I've had three emails back from then and despite giving me some tests to try it still the infotainment unit will still not receive the mapping information from the app. This is still on going and VW seem baffled by the issue. Last night out of shear frustration as I'm due to travel today I went into settings on my phone, running the latest version of Android, and deleted the cache within the We Connect app. Success it immediately sent to mapping and was received by the car. Tried a different destination and found again this did not work. Cleared cache again and sending route information works. Appears you have to clear cache every time you wish to send a new route from We Connect to car. This can not be a long term answer but for anyone with an Android phone finding you have issues using this, clear the cache first, then send your route to the car and it will work. VW technical have been advised of the temporary fix and seemed surprised of this. Was advised they are looking into a permanent fix for the issue and will advise accordingly.
VW Taigo R Line 1.5 DSG
Pure White
Rear view camera
18” Misano wheels
Heated Seats
Spare Wheel

dmrodgers

Post by dmrodgers »

Finally after 4 weeks of emails, photo's of the infotainment unit and testing of potential solution between myself and Volkswagen Customer Services Volkswagen have agreed the unit is faulty and the car is booked in for a week on Monday for the unit to be replaced. Hopefully this will resolve all issues, whilst it has been annoying VW Customer Services have been very helpful in trying to resolve the issue with me and have come to a satisfactory solution to resolve the issue. Fingers crossed now that I will have a fully operational unit come the 27th June.
VW Taigo R Line 1.5 DSG
Pure White
Rear view camera
18” Misano wheels
Heated Seats
Spare Wheel
dmrodgers

Post by dmrodgers »

Well the Taigo has been into the dealer today to have the WeConnect issues sorted with reference to mapping. Factory reset of the system followed by a full download of the latest software, not an over the air update but done by connecting the car direct with VW servers seems to have resolved the issue. My dealer tells me that this update can only be done by a VW dealer and is not one of the over the air updates. So far so good, both my Google Pixel phone and my wife's Apple iPhone are now talking with the infotainment unit and sending mapping information which is now being received as is expected. Anyone with a WeConnect issue get your dealer to update the software, free of charge, to the latest version.
VW Taigo R Line 1.5 DSG
Pure White
Rear view camera
18” Misano wheels
Heated Seats
Spare Wheel
tisniwoar

Post by tisniwoar »

I had the same issues with my Taigo.
I reported the problem to weconnect-support@volkswagen.de and got the following response:

Please apply the below steps in your app and vehicle's infotainment system:

- Please, be so kind and check if your vehicle is online (Infotainment system → Users → Settings → Privacy settings and services → The fourth option “share my position” must be selected).
- After the above, please perform a soft reset of the infotainment system by holding the infotainment power button until the screen goes off and then turns back on.
- Exit the vehicle, lock it and wait for at least 15 minutes.
- Delete the We Connect app off your phone.
- Restart the phone, and reinstall the app.
- Attempt to send a destination to your vehicle once more.

I executed all steps and lo and behold, destination arrived in my car.
After this success I tried several times (while sitting in the car with ignition on, lock the car and wait 15 minutes, phone in airplane mode while in the car, Bluetooth disabled on the phone while in the car....) and to my surprise every attempt to send a destination to the car succeeded (after navigation is ready, which takes quite a long time after turning on the ignition).

So for now the problem seems solved, I hope it remains that way.
dmrodgers

Post by dmrodgers »

Good to hear this has resolved the issue for you. Mine has behaved impeccably since VW agreed to a warranty repair after I had initially followed similar instructions given to you above which for me did not resolve the issue. However, don't have the issue of the SatNav unit taking a long time after turning on the ignition, system boots up navigation is ready for use within 10 seconds.
VW Taigo R Line 1.5 DSG
Pure White
Rear view camera
18” Misano wheels
Heated Seats
Spare Wheel
tisniwoar

Post by tisniwoar »

Unfortunately, the problem does not turn out to be solved for me either after performing the instructions,
Contacted weconnect support again, wait and see...
dmrodgers

Post by dmrodgers »

I went through exactly the same with VW support in Germany, whilst they were very helpful, no solutions they were offering and asked me to perform on the infotainment unit had any success. After numerous emails and phone calls with VW support over a three/four week period VW agreed to replace the unit under warranty. Took my dealer less than one hour to instal, take the old unit out, disconnect the wiring, reattach the wiring to the new unit and replace into the dashboard the new unit. Succes it worked perfectly and has done ever since. I'd keep onto VW support in Germany and with a bit of luck they will agree to replace the unit which sounds like it had the same issues as mine.
VW Taigo R Line 1.5 DSG
Pure White
Rear view camera
18” Misano wheels
Heated Seats
Spare Wheel
tisniwoar

Post by tisniwoar »

Last week I was able to send destinations to the car via We Connect with success!

Today I received the following email from weconnect-support@volkswagen.de:

Thank you for your patience during our investigation of this issue.

We are aware of cases where destinations sent to the vehicle via the app did not arrive there, or arrive with a delay of several hours. Therefore, we have now developed and implemented a technical solution that stabilizes the destination import.

Therefore, in the future, there should be no difficulties when sending a destination to the vehicle through the app. Please note that it takes a certain amount of time for the vehicle to establish an internet connection after switching on the ignition in order to receive the destination from the backend.

If, in individual cases, a sent destination was not received in the vehicle, we recommend the following steps, which can be applied independently of each other.

Briefly switch to "Guest User" via "Users" and then back to the "Main User".

or

Send the destination through the app by "adding it to favorite" beforehand.
To do this, drag the display from bottom to top after searching for a destination in the map view of the app. You then have the option of saving the destination as a favorite via "Add as favorite" and then sending it to the vehicle as usual via "Use in car".

We thank you for your patience and understanding.

So maybe they finally solved this annoying issue??
dmrodgers

Post by dmrodgers »

Good to hear VW now seem to have a fix for the issue with mapping sent to the car. Whilst my infotainment unit has behaved impeccably since being replaced under warranty its good to know that there now seems to a be quick and easy fix for the issue. Hopefully this will help everyone suffering from similar issues.
VW Taigo R Line 1.5 DSG
Pure White
Rear view camera
18” Misano wheels
Heated Seats
Spare Wheel
freejam

Post by freejam »

Well does it still work with the new Volkswagen app I wonder?

I've given up with the Taigo navigation system - I've been directed to too many random fields when I've tried it. There's a simple solution stick a mobile with Google maps on the dash - no more useless navigation. BTW the mobile shows more info than the VW hit and miss navigation. Google have far more mapping research and resources to deliver accurate navigation than VW.